Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Ok so this is what I'm learning how to do

Loooots of pics on this post, so I'll keep the words to a minimum. All photos on this page are unedited (except for resizing/saving as jpg) unless otherwise noted. I've about a week's worth (give or take) of outfit photos shot on my old camera, then I can start uploading some totally rad images from the new one :) Squee!

These were taken while playing around with the aperture priority mode:

7-3-13a

7-3-13b

7-3-13c

7-3-13d

7-3-13e

7-3-13f

7-3-13g

7-3-13h
(Totes my fave so far.)

7-3-13i
Opened this one in Photoshop's RAW editor (turns out I just needed to update the plugin, doy) to adjust the white balance and remove some of the yellow in this one. Original on top, edited below.

The next several were playing around with the shutter priority mode. That one was quite a bit harder, if you ask me. I'll figure it out.

7-3-13k

7-3-13l

7-3-13m

7-3-13n
On this one and the next few, the photos on the left are the originals. The images became way overexposed when I slowed down the shutter speed to get that dreamy, misty effect. A few quick white balance and exposure adjustments later, I had the images on the right! So stinkin' easy. Looking back, I think I may have underexposed them a bit, but I still have the original RAW files so I can go back and practice editing some more later :)

7-3-13o

7-3-13p

7-3-13q
Couldn't get a fast enough shutter speed indoors. At night. Boo.

7-3-13r

I'm really, really excited to take Nellie out for the fireworks tomorrow night and try my hand at some longer-exposure photography, as well as some action shots of folks playing volleyball/kids jumping in the bouncy house at the party we're going to. So much to learn, so much to capture!

3 comments:

  1. You are going to love playing with this: you have the right attitude. Experiment and see what happens. When I was young, I learned about photography on a 35mm film-camera and felt inhibited taking too many pictures because, with film, you paid to develop every mistake. With digital, there's no cost at all!

    Learning to control depth-of-field is a terrific tool: it can put all attention on your subject and blur out the background.

    Learning to control shutter-speed can produce interesting effects with motion. Sometimes freezing a moving object is cool; sometimes letting it blur to show motion is cool. Fireworks are really, really hard to shoot right; you need long exposures, preferably on a tripod, and it's hit-and-miss 'cause you never know what's going to happen in the sky. But, as I said earlier, there's no cost to develop film so go wild!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah girl! Those pics are AWESOME!!!! Look at you go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Spazzy. She's just a big blur. I love that shot of the food! And sometimes editing makes all the difference!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, awesome commenter! I love feedback and try to respond to all comments (especially ones with questions) if I can find an email or blog address.

Thaaaaaanks for reading!