Monday, May 16, 2011

Take two, part two

Aaand, here's the other blog post from Thursday that went missing! These Asian-inspired dishes, as I said before, are so quick and easy to make. It's a Rachael Ray recipe, so naturally I had to cut down the ingredients list a bit to make this a practical meal. Ray-ray loves her long ingredients lists! (This recipe makes enough for two, just FYI.)



Ingredients:
- 1 can each chicken broth and beef broth (or two cans chicken broth)
- 1/2 box linguine
- 1/2 lb stew beef
- a few scallions or chives, cut into bite-size pieces on an angle
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots (I used my mandolin, or you can buy them shredded at the store)
- 1/2 bag frozen snap peas, thawed

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt generously, then add the linguine. Meanwhile, bring the broth to a boil in a separate pot (one large enough to hold the broth and the meat). Drain the linguine just before it's finished cooking and divide into two bowls. Put veggies on top of noodles.

Add the beef to the boiling broth and poach until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes, depending on how thick the pieces are. Then add the meat to the bowls and ladle the broth over them. Cover the bowls tightly with small plates or foil and let steep for 5 minutes to finish cooking the noodles and the veggies. Uncover and slurp away!

A note: I don't really like to add raw meat to a broth that I'll be eating. Ray-ray insists it's okay, but it weirds me out, so I browned the meat on all sides first in a separate pan with a little bit of sesame oil. You could just as easily use canola oil or another vegetable oil substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, awesome commenter! I love feedback and try to respond to all comments (especially ones with questions) if I can find an email or blog address.

Thaaaaaanks for reading!